This page contains recruitment resources for TAME Chapter Leadership, TAME Club Sponsors, and anyone in the TAME Ecosystem who would like materials to help spread the word about TAME’s free programs.
Videos & PowerPoint about TAME
8-min video introducing TAME & all the resources we’re offering right now
The PowerPoint slide from the video above, with a little more detail
2-min video going in-depth on what they’ll get with a TAME Toolkit
2-min video interviewing a TAME alumna about how TAME helped her belong in STEM
2-min video interviewing two West TX students about how TAME is a family & inspired them to pursue STEM
Email & social media text
Recruitment text you can copy/paste into an email, Zoom chat, etc.:
Short email or newsletter blurb
Subject line: Toolkits & funding for STEM Clubs in [Location]
Funding and supplies for STEM clubs across Texas! Know any teachers or community groups who could use some support right now? Register for free with the Texas Alliance for Minorities in Engineering (TAME) to get your own TAME Toolkit shipped to your school or home, and funding emailed directly to you as an Amazon gift card. Toolkits are available on a first come, first-served basis for STEM Clubs serving Title I campuses and community groups. Learn more at TAME.org/toolkit.
How to sign up: Register a TAME Club and at least 6 students by the deadline of March 31, 2021. TAME will reach out to qualified Clubs with a short survey to confirm shipping. No separate application will be needed.
Full email or blog post
Subject line: Toolkits & funding for STEM Clubs in [Location]
Register a STEM club for free with the Texas Alliance for Minorities in Engineering (TAME) and receive your own STEM club toolkit and funding!
Reconnect with the parts of teaching you love most, by exploring and sharing your love for STEM. Set your own schedule, too! Meet virtually or in person weekly, monthly, a couple times a semester. TAME Clubs are 100% free and flexible to your unique needs. You don’t need to be a teacher, librarian, or STEM professional to register a TAME Club. You need an adult, 6 students in grades K-12, and to meet regularly in person or virtually to do something (anything!) STEM-related. You can register any kind of group, such as 4H, Scouts, Science Olympiad, NSBE, Jr., MAES, SHPE, a robotics or rocketry team, even an art club exploring STEAM concepts together. Learn more at tame.org/club.
Toolkits for TAME Clubs in Texas include $100 for supplies plus $5 for each student registered. They’re available on a first come, first-served basis for STEM Clubs serving Title I campuses and community groups. See toolkit eligibility at tame.org/toolkit. Toolkit contents (3-layer face masks, engineering workbooks, supplies, t-shirts for Club Sponsor and Co-Sponsor, and more) will be based on how many students you have registered!
Register today: TAME.org/club2020
Because part of TAME’s mission is to promote diversity in STEM careers, we focus recruitment on under-represented groups: students who are female, Black or African American, Latino or Hispanic, Native American, or those who face economic barriers, or who are first generation college-bound.
The Texas Alliance for Minorities in Engineering (TAME) is a statewide 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 1976 that enables Texas students to pursue careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). Join us in building a STEM workforce that looks like Texas.
Social media examples
Funding and supplies for STEM clubs across Texas!
Register for free with the Texas Alliance for Minorities in Engineering (TAME) to get your own #TAMEToolkit shipped to your school or home. DEADLINE 3/31!https://t.co/nPk9OjXolS #LonestarSTEM #TexasStrong pic.twitter.com/x1sQOdfwwI
— TAME (@TAMESTEM) February 24, 2021
Last chance! 1st time TAME Clubs can submit their Club Registration & register the 6 students needed until the end of day today, 11/12! Free, virtual Texas STEM Competitions & STEM club toolkits & funding! Register at https://t.co/hY8ILsFXSU #LonestarSTEM #STEM4all #TexasSTEM pic.twitter.com/m3MoDHtbds
— TAME (@TAMESTEM) November 12, 2020
Printable handouts & brochures
What benefits does a student receive from joining TAME?
Ana’s Story, inspired by true events
A two-page printable PDF handout following a student through 11+ years of free TAME support. We walk you through the experience of one student through middle school, high school, college, and her journey back to TAME later in life as an engineer.
All parts of this story have been inspired by the lived experience of TAME alumni who have shared the impact of TAME on their lives and the lives of their children and grandchildren.
Community & School Administrator Guide
Helping TAME Clubs find local support
A 7-page printable brochure to help you approach your school administrators and local businesses and organizations for support.
“After four decades gathering data in the grand experiment of TAME, one thing stands out: students thrive with the support of their school, community, and family.
TAME Club Sponsors who can rely on school administrators, teachers, librarians, and community members are the ones most likely to return to TAME year after year. Those clubs make the most impact on the most students by actively encouraging them to stay part of the TAME family. We can do a lot, but we cannot do it alone.”
We hope this guide will help connect you and your students with like-minded peers and mentors and get your group the support you need to keep doing what you do best – inspiring and preparing the future STEM professionals of Texas.
TAME Club Sponsor Guide:
Best Practices & Recipes for a Great TAME Club Meeting
Many Club Sponsors ask us for advice on how to structure meetings, schedules, and activities. We’re offering a guide for TAME Club Sponsors that includes timing, funding, recruitment, suggested guidelines, and many “recipe ideas” for fun in person & virtual meetings:
- past Engineering Design Challenges from Divisionals and State
- guest speaker training and questions
- STEM leadership discussions
- STEAM art project & contest
- college & scholarship workshop
- discussion on science fiction & STEM ethics, and more!
We hope these “recipes” will help you envision some of the ways that your TAME Club can help foster exploration and build a supportive network for your students. (Updated Fall 2020.)
Digital Club Kit
Posters, Certificates, Fundraising Ideas
Now available! TAME is pleased to offer a Digital Club Kit to support TAME Club Sponsors, including:
- TAME Club Sponsor Guide & Best Practices
- Community & School Administrator Guide to find support for your TAME Club
- TAME Club Presentation for Teachers
- Benefits of a TAME Club Infographic – Ana’s Story
- Club Engineering Challenge Workbook
- Easy-to-print Club Recruitment posters in English & Spanish
- Club recruitment strategies
- Family STEM Event posters in English & Spanish
- Student Participation Certificates
TAME Club Hall of Fame
Here are some of the many activities TAME Clubs have taken on in recent years. (See photos below!)
- Divide the club into teams to practice Engineering Design Challenges from past STEM Competitions
- Invite local STEM professionals and college students to the club as guest speakers
- Host a Family STEM Event anchored by a visit from the Trailblazer, TAME’s mobile STEM museum
- Gamify your prep for STEM Competitions with TAME’s Kahoot quizzes, official practice tests, and design challenges
- Build a Little Free Library based off a famous science fiction character
- Design, build, and race solar cars, then host a local Electrathon to mentor other local schools to start their own programs
- Design, build, and compete with rockets, then visit science fairs to share your work
- Partner with a local library, museum, or university to learn coding, 3D printing, and more
- Challenge students grades 6-12 to mentor elementary-age students by running an informal STEM Competition
- Host an engineering challenge in an unusual setting, like designing rafts to float on a swimming pool
- Organize a STEAM art project day to help students submit artwork for the annual T-Shirt Design Contest
- Help your local theatre with projects like designing a replica steam engine prop with working lights and steam
- Volunteer with eco-cleanup days for local parks or run a recycling club
- Learn how to do water quality monitoring or run environmental safety tests on local rivers
- Take the whole club on a field trip to a local university to tour the campus
- Connect with a local STEM employer to bring students on a tour
- Offer extra credit, snacks, and help students with homework and tutoring
- Help graduating seniors apply for TAME Scholarships
- Anything and everything STEM-related that students want to explore!
Many clubs draw ideas from TAME’s curated content on Pinterest.