2023 TAME Engineering Competition Volunteers
There are three types of volunteer opportunities:
- Set-up & Check-in Volunteers: join the TAME Team to prepare the space for our budding engineers.
- Design Challenge Judges: support our budding engineers as they tackle this year’s engineering challenge by asking them questions and assessing their work according to our rubric. Training provided!
- Clean-up Volunteers: celebrate the conclusion of a great event and help the TAME team leave the space as we found it.
About TAME and our Engineering Competitions
Every spring, students enrolled in our programs join a TAME Engineering Competition and work with their peers to make the world a better place through engineering. Since the start of this school year, TAME Clubs across Texas have been diving deep into learning about water, water purification, and the essential role that engineers play in bringing the world clean water. As TAME’s Competition season kicks off, students will shift to focus on how to transport water to the places where it’s needed most.
Volunteer at one of our fourteen 2023 TAME Engineering Competitions:
- Gulf Coast (in Houston) – April 1
- Lubbock – February 13
- San Angelo – February 18
- San Antonio – February 18
- Valley (Edinburg) – March 4
- West Texas (in Odessa) – February 3
- Wichita Falls – February 25
Other Volunteers Opportunities with TAME
No matter what your skill set, we’re always happy to hear from new volunteers! TAME programs rely on the dedication and imagination of volunteers like you. To find specific opportunities in your area, contact your local TAME Chapter. Across the state, we welcome volunteers to:
- Volunteer at your local Engineering Competitions
- Provide support for your local TAME Club
- Organize a Family STEM Event in your area
- Join your local TAME Chapter
- Donate to support TAME programs across Texas
10-Second Video Selfie
Share a 10-second video selfie with the below script to help inspire the next generation of STEM professionals!
Share your name, your TAME Club, hometown, what you majored in (or what you’re currently studying) and if you’ve graduated, tell us what you do with your STEM degree. For our bilingual alumni, you can also record a second message in Spanish if you like. Two examples:
- “Hi, I’m Katherine Johnson from the Leland Melvin HS TAME Club in Houston, Texas. I majored in Mathematics at the University of Texas and work for NASA as a Research Mathematician where I get to calculate the flight paths of spacecraft.”
- “Hey y’all, I’m Poe Dameron from the STEM Hotshots TAME Club in Presidio, Texas. I’m majoring in Aeronautical Engineering at Texas A&M University and I want to work as a pilot for the US Airforce.”
HOW TO SEND: Email or upload video clips to your preferred cloud server (Google Drive, Dropbox, One Drive etc.) and share access to firstname.lastname@example.org.
TAME will share the clips to inspire TAME students across Texas in videos and social media.
Virtual Visits & Videos with STEM Role Models
A glimpse into a virtual TAME Club meeting: “We had 17 attendees at our first online meeting for the PHS chapter of TAME. Our 2 guest speakers were Taylor Johnson, biomedical engineering graduate of UT Austin (currently studying for PhD in engineering education) and Gaby Ramirez, petroleum engineering graduate of Colorado School of Mines. A GREAT start for our year!” – From Dixie Ross, TAME Club Co-Sponsor of Pflugerville HS, @PflugervilleISD
- STEM role models invited to connect virtually with K-12 TAME Clubs
- Volunteers may pre-record 5-30 min video or connect on Zoom
- Share your story, lead an activity, do a STEM demonstration, offer a Q&A
- One-time commitment
- Signups opening soon!