Volunteer docents on board the Trailblazer lead the learning and the fun. When volunteers share their energy and excitement, it truly makes the experience for these kids! Volunteers can be parents, school staff/volunteers, high school or college students and employees of local businesses and sponsoring organizations.
- Who: Anyone! No special skills or background are required to serve as a docent.
- Where: Trailblazer I or Trailblazer II
- What: Lead students through exhibits, in 6-12 minute intervals
- How: Follow a script with questions, facts and instructions to show students how to safely operate hands-on exhibits
- Why: Inspire kids in your community and excite them about STEM opportunities
Docents will lead one of 5 stations:
What to wear and bring:
Please wear comfortable, closed-toed shoes.
If possible, please wear a shirt with your college or company logo.
The Trailblazer is equipped with AC and heat; however, please take local weather into consideration.
Please check with your volunteer coordinator for details regarding meals and meal breaks.
Please try to bring as little extra with you as possible as space is limited.
What to expect:
Volunteers will arrive 40 minutes before students for a hands-on exhibit orientation.
Volunteers will be standing and talking throughout their shift, but will have the ability to lean on counters and take breaks.
We can accommodate volunteers and visitors of all abilities; please feel free to request wheelchair access instructions in advance if you desire.
How to prepare:
Once you are assigned to a Trailblazer exhibit, you can review the script and training video below. Physical scripts will also be provided for you at the event.
Thank you for volunteering with the Trailblazer! Your help is critical to making this visit a success. Here’s what you need to know:
- You will need to recruit a minimum of 5 volunteers (9th grade is the minimum age); we encourage employees of local STEM industries to participate. For more tips on recruitment, see our “Preparing for Your Visit” page. Please start recruiting your volunteers early!
- Please ask volunteers to arrive at the Trailblazer for training 40 minutes before students are scheduled to visit.
- Please allow enough time for volunteers to check into the school office before reporting to the Trailblazer.
- For long Trailblazer days, you may want to have 2 shifts of volunteers. In this case, schedule your shifts to overlap by 15 minutes while visitors are touring. The first shift of volunteers will train the second shift “on the job”.
- Each volunteer should be assigned an exhibit area prior to the event. Please give each volunteer a link to the appropriate training. Make sure you are linking to the correct Trailblazer!
- THANK YOU!