Thanks to the generous ongoing support of the Tocker Foundation, TAME brings the Trailblazer to rural libraries across Texas to help bridge the summer learning divide.
The TAME Trailblazers are STEM-museums-on-wheels that travel to schools and communities across Texas to bring exciting, hands-on exhibits to students. Trailblazer visits are designed to introduce students to STEM concepts and career paths, to provide interaction with local STEM professionals, and to encourage participation in STEM electives and extracurricular opportunities. Click here to learn more about our Trailblazers.
“The best moment was when one of our regular visitors came and visited. They were surprised by how much science and STEM related information had advanced! All of the kids I spoke with after thought it was the coolest event that they had attended this summer. Thank you all so much for providing this amazing opportunity!” – Librarian, River Oaks Public Library
In the past, libraries who hosted the Trailblazer saw on average more than double the typical number of patrons visit the library to see the museum-on-wheels. Additionally, 100% of the libraries who received this grant reported that it was a success and that they would recommend the visit to others.
Who can apply?
Libraries serving towns with populations of less than 12,000 are eligible and encouraged to apply.
What does it cost?
This program is free for selected libraries.
When will the events take place?
Library visits will be scheduled between May 31 and August 13, 2022. Each visit will be 4 hours in duration, primarily during morning hours.
What does the library need to provide?
Selected libraries will be responsible for:
• Determining the event schedule and parking location with TAME
• Recruiting 6 volunteers to serve as docents. Docents will receive training just before the event, and are required to be present when the Trailblazer is open to visitors.
• Provide lunch for the TAME Trailblazer Facilitator on the day of the visit
• Complete a brief event online report.
What is the deadline to apply?
All applications must be submitted no later than May 3, 2022. Applicants will be notified of their status by mid-May.
Preference will be given to libraries that are:
• Clustered together geographically (the more efficient the route, the more libraries we can visit, groups of 5 encouraged)
• Able to host the Trailblazer during morning and early afternoon hours
• Have never had the Trailblazer visit or haven’t had the Trailblazer in recent years
What safety protocols are in place for the Trailblazer?
TAME’s Trailblazer Safety Policy is available here. We acknowledge the uncertainty of the path that COVID-19 will take and will assess the situation throughout the summer and move forward with the visits as long as the libraries, the Tocker Foundation and TAME feel that it is safe and in the best interest of the community.
Please email email@example.com with questions.