A New Initiative
This year, more than ever, students and teachers require our support. The Texas Alliance for Minorities in Engineering (TAME) is proud to launch a new initiative to offer financial and material support to TAME Clubs serving Title I campuses and community groups, thanks to generous support from Statewide Sponsor Boeing and Regional Sponsors PPG, Raytheon Intelligence & Space, and Howmet Aerospace.
The new TAME Club Toolkits will include funding for supplies, healthy snacks, and one large equipment purchase, such as a microscope or a robotics set, to use in the classroom throughout the year. The toolkits will also include instructions for 10 TAME-created Engineering Design Challenges to use as a club activity each month during the school year. Additionally, Club Sponsors will receive workbooks and t-shirts, supplies, dozens of ideas for additional STEM activities, and more.
Last year PPG invested seed funding in the development of the initiative. This year, Regional Sponsors PPG, Raytheon Intelligence & Space, and Howmet Aerospace will help us deliver targeted support, and our Statewide Sponsor Boeing will allow us to scale and deliver the program across Texas.
Toolkit contents for 2020-21 year
- Funding includes $100 for large equipment purchase and $5/student as Amazon gift card
- 3-layer face masks for students, Club Sponsor, & Co-Sponsor (if you register one)
- T-shirts for Club Sponsor and Co-Sponsor
- TAME Club Sponsor Guide: Best Practices
- TAME Club poster
- Curriculum for 10 TAME-created Engineering Design Challenges
- TAME Club Engineering Workbooks
- Additional STEM activity ideas
- #LonestarSTEM stickers
Eligibility for 2020-21 year
Club Toolkits are designed for grades 6-12 and will be available statewide on a first come, first served basis. To qualify for one of the available kits, registered TAME Clubs must meet one of the following criteria:
- TAME Club must be registered at a Title I School
- Community TAME Clubs must register at least 50% students who qualify for free/reduced-price meals at school (check eligibility here)
2020-21 Deadline & How to apply
Register a TAME Club and at least 6 students by the deadline of March 31, 2021. TAME will reach out to qualified Clubs with a short survey to confirm shipping. No separate application will be needed.
- Register your club: TAME.org/club2020
- Register at least 6 students: TAME.org/student2020
- Watch for our emails:
- “Your free STEM toolkit & funding!” has the shipping survey you need to fill out so we know where to send your toolkit in case of school closures
- “TAME Toolkit Shipment & Funding Info” has your FedEx tracking number and Amazon gift card amount
- If you don’t receive these emails, check your spam folder and ask your district IT to whitelist firstname.lastname@example.org
After we ship your toolkit:
- Redeem your digital Amazon gift card to buy your large equipment item (up to $100) and/or STEM supplies, snacks, etc.
- Let us know how it goes with photos, emails, social media shout outs with #TAMEToolkit and #LonestarSTEM
- Fill out our survey at the end of the school year to let us know what you purchased and which four areas received the most of your funding: large equipment, program materials and supplies (includes PPE), and healthy snacks. Your feedback will help us improve toolkits for future years and seek additional funding to offer more resources.
If you qualify, have registered a club and at least 6 students, but have not received an email with the shipping survey, let us know at email@example.com or by leaving a message at 512-471-6100.
Social Media Videos & Shout Outs
Funding and supplies for STEM clubs across Texas!
Register for free with the Texas Alliance for Minorities in Engineering (TAME) to get your own #TAMEToolkit shipped to your school or home. DEADLINE 3/31!https://t.co/nPk9OjXolS #LonestarSTEM #TexasStrong pic.twitter.com/x1sQOdfwwI
— TAME (@TAMESTEM) February 24, 2021
TAME’s toolkit initiative has officially launched! We’ve been working hard to assemble & ship the 1st round of STEM Club Toolkits. More to ship after Thanksgiving. Thanks to Statewide Sponsor @Boeing and Regional Sponsors @PPG, @RaytheonIntel, and @HowmetAero_Fdn! #LonestarSTEM pic.twitter.com/cDBrB1A5XM
— TAME (@TAMESTEM) November 18, 2020
— TAME (@TAMESTEM) November 20, 2020
View this post on Instagram
Texas teachers have a tremendous task in front of them during the pandemic. TAME hopes that Club Toolkits will ease that load by providing teachers with materials, curricula, and equipment to foster a more engaging STEM learning environment to help counteract the learning loss acquired during the pandemic.
Many of the students we reach aren’t often encouraged to think of themselves as scientists. Many of them will be the first in their families to go to college, and often, they’re the first in their family to get through high school. Strengthening the education-to-employment pipeline requires a long-term investment in these students.
We are grateful to Boeing, PPG, Raytheon Intelligence & Space, and Howmet Aerospace, and for investing in TAME students now during an unprecedented time of great need, to educate and empower the Texas STEM workforce of the future.
[Update on 11/17/20]
Want a toolkit for your club? Due to the difficulties posed by this year, TAME has opted to keep registration open until mid-spring to allow more clubs to receive toolkits, support seniors applying for scholarships, and join the TAME Ecosystem conversation. Clubs and students registered after November 12th will not be eligible to participate in STEM Competitions, but we look forward to welcoming more folks into the TAME family!