Traveling Educator / Trailblazer Facilitator
The Texas Alliance for Minorities in Engineering is seeking a friendly, dynamic individual in central Texas to fill a new position for Traveling Educator / Trailblazer Facilitator that will help our Trailblazer mobile museums reach more students than ever before. Our program is expanding to reach a record-breaking number of students, and we need help to meet the demand.
The Trailblazer museums are 40-foot exhibit trailers that house engineering and science exhibits. The responsibilities for this position include driving the trailers to locations throughout Texas, setting up exhibits, working with volunteer docents, demonstrating exhibits, interacting with students and ensuring that all exhibits are clean and safely stowed for long distance travel.
This position is contract and may require some weekend travel. Work week will vary depending on scheduling of jobs. Overtime hours available. Ideally, the candidate will live within a two-hour drive of TAME's State Office in Austin.
Trailblazer Facilitator and Engineer David Morris with students in Eagle Lake, Texas after a successful Trailblazer visit to a community library.
At school and community events, candidate must be comfortable working with parents, teachers and corporate volunteers while demonstrating the science and tech exhibits.
Candidate is required to pass a criminal background check, be physically capable of hitching/unhitching the trailer, and lifting 75 pounds. Frequent bending, standing and lifting are required. Candidate will be responsible for minor maintenance and upkeep of the truck, trailer and exhibits. Must have a Class C Standard Driver's License.
Candidate should be able to drive a one-ton pick-up truck towing a 40-foot trailer. If a candidate meets all other requirements but does not have experience driving a truck and trailer, comprehensive training will be provided.
Fluency with English. Spanish language skills a plus.
Basic computer skills, including but not limited to: E-mail and Outlook, Firefox or Chrome, Microsoft Word and Excel. Must be comfortable using GPS navigation aids.
Bachelor's Degree OR equivalent experience in any of the following fields: Teacher or Professor of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics; librarian, researcher, or other educational training specialist; bus drivers for school or metropolitan services.
Trailblazer Facilitator V. J. Willis shares his passion for working with students in the Trailblazer in this video.
The ideal candidate for the Trailblazer Facilitator will be:
- Eager to work with and inspire youth. Trailblazer attendees are grades 3-8; volunteers are often grades 9-12, college students, and professionals.
- Dedicated to maintaining safety for all individuals who visit the Trailblazer; dedicated to maintaining safe driving practices at all times.
- Comfortable working with people from a diversity of backgrounds and demographics.
- Friendly, outgoing, and comfortable addressing a crowd of students, educators, and journalists. Public speaking skills a definite plus.
- Politely persistent, practical, and no-nonsense when it comes to managing disagreements or those who act in conflict with rules.
- Punctual, organized, and considerate of others' time.
- Able to maintain a professional appearance and demeanor to represent TAME, whether that is with a student, an educator, a journalist, or a corporate sponsor.
- Passionate about sharing your enthusiasm for science, technology, engineering, and math; excited to serve as the catalyst who could spark a similar enthusiasm in the next generation of students.
Applicants may apply through email to email@example.com to express interest in the job. Applicants should provide a current resume and three references.