Exhibits are mapped to science TEKS for grades 3-8, and teachers receive pre-visit activities and follow-up materials to sustain student interest long after the Trailblazer drives off campus. Each Trailblazer, housed in a 40-foot trailer can accommodate 30 students at a time. Students take at least 30-45 minutes per group, and about 200 students can visit each trailer per day. The hosting organization provides a minimum of five volunteers. A TAME Trailblazer Facilitator delivers the Trailblazer and trains volunteers.
For scheduling and cost information, please contact the Trailblazer Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (512) 471 6100.
Students Explore Museum on Wheels
Austin Engineering and Science Festival
Trailblazer Trailer visits Deleon Middle School
Trailblazer Trailer visits Cannon Elementary
Trailblazer on ABC News
"To say that our 200+ fifth graders here at E. S. Richardson Elementary enjoyed the TAME mobile science lab would be an understatement. What a wonderful concept, a traveling field trip that comes to us. The benefits our children received are just too numerous to list, but the exposure to so many science concepts that were hands on made their time out of the classroom worthwhile. Anyone within a mile of our school probably wondered 'what in the world was going on.' Fun and excitement and all about science. Thank you again."
-- Ms. Oreata M. Banks and the Richardson students & staff
"We especially appreciate the opportunity afforded to our students... Students were able to hear their heart beat for the first time... The electricity generator exhibit was very relevant to their current topic in class, namely energy transformation and forms of energy."
-- Ms. O'Dell Thomas, Principal, Young Women's College Prep Academy
"The event was fantastic! From start to finish, it was a quality production, and I am SO glad we were able to offer this to our community. As they were coming out of the exhibit, I heard several kids discussing how cool it was. It is always heartwarming when kids spontaneously promote events to other kids. That’s when you KNOW it was a success! Thanks SO much to TAME and to all the underwriters. This is such a worthwhile investment!"
-- Librarian, from the Science Rocks! event
STEM Concepts and Exhibits
Exhibit Area: Energy
- Concepts: Conservation, transformation and transmission of energy, power generation, alternative energy sources
- Trailblazer I: Hand crank generator, Energy tubes, Energy transmission demonstration, Radiometer, Solar cell, Videos
- Trailblazer II: Bicycle wheel generator, Energy tubes, Energy transmission demonstration, Radiometer, Solar cell, Wind turbine, Videos
Exhibit Area: Space
- Concepts: Space flight, gravity, propulsion, working in space, impact of solar activity on earth, NASA products in everyday life
- Trailblazer I: Robotic arm, Relative Gravity Demonstration, Ion powered rocket engine, Microgravity, Videos
- Trailblazer II: Thermal Imaging, Relative Gravity Demonstration, Solar Flare, Videos
Exhibit Area: Bio Technology/Medicine
- Concepts: Pathogens, Bones, Body Temperature, X-Rays, Robotics & Surgery
- Trailblazer I: Stethoscope, Pulse Oximeter, MRI, X-Rays, Microscopes
- Trailblazer II: Robotic arm, Chromatography, Genetic Mutation, Hi-Def Microscope, Videos
Exhibit Area: Weather
- Concepts: Weather forecasting, Predictive Technology, Science of Tornadoes
- Trailblazer I: Televised Weather Forecasting, Tornado Chamber, Plasma Ball, Videos
- Trailblazer II: Televised Weather Forecasting, Tornado Chamber, Hindcasting, Plasma Ball, Videos
Exhibit Area: Aerodynamics
- Concepts: Bernoulli’s Principle, Aerodynamic Shapes, Civil Engineering
- Trailblazer I: Wind Tunnels, Turbulence Interactives, Bernoulli’s Experiment, Videos
- Trailblazer II: Wind Tunnels, Airfoil Interactive, Bernoulli’s Experiment, Videos